Tuesday, March 12, 2013

Rome Revisited

"When in Rome, do as the Romans do."


~Proverb Quote

I have been fortunate to have traveled a good deal.  One of my favorite places in the world is Rome, Italy and I am lucky enough to have been there twice. The eyes of the world are on Rome this week as Cardinals gather in conclave to choose a new Pope.  The process, so rich in tradition and circumstance, grabs the attention of Catholics and non-Catholics alike. I had planned on telling you more about the vintage market I went to over the weekend but I am posting pictures of my last visit to Rome instead.  The first time we traveled to Rome was eight years ago- this week.  In fact, we celebrated St. Patrick's Day in a bar in Rome (that was a little different!).  I'll probably never forget it, mostly because the name of the band was Twisted Nipple.  (Ouch!)  Pope John Paul II was very ill at the time and we were wondering if we were going to witness history...he died nine days after we returned home. Please enjoy these photos, and if you ever have the chance to go to Italy, by all means go!


The courtyard of Vatican City, note the statues lining the top of the buildings.



The Vatican police.


One of the ceiling domes inside the Vatican.



The Spanish steps (above).
The Trevi Fountain (below).




Oops- out of order- inside the Vatican.


The most popular form of transportation.


The Pantheon- oldest important building in the world.
The original dome, there is a drain in the floor beneath the opening
for when it rains.



Inside and outside the Colosseum.





Lovely architectural details.







 I hope you enjoyed this mini tour.  Here's a preview of one of my purchases
from the weekend.


It's a vintage olive bucket- I'd like to think it is from Italy or Turkey-
the throw on the edge of the sofa is from our trip to Venice.

Ciao!
C.

1 comment: