Monday, March 11, 2013

How hard can it be?


"Painting is easy when you don't know how, but very difficult when you do."
~Edgar Degas



               Perhaps you've heard of chalk paint.  Specifically, Annie Sloan Chalk Paint,
or ASCP to those in the know.

Hailed as the latest and greatest product to hit vintage (aka thrift store) furniture, there are classes and books galore on how to successfully use this wonder product.  "How hard can this be?" I thought when I heard about the paint and the classes, which are only offered one place in the greater Cincinnati area.  I've always thought I was pretty handy with a paintbrush.  But, the paint is pricey and my friend Susan talked me into taking the class with her.

Let me go on record as saying "This ain't your Momma's latex!".  Chalk paint is unlike anything I've ever used before and I am hooked.  No sanding or priming is needed and if it doesn't move, you can paint it with chalk paint. It is however, a little different to work with and if you are serious about trying it, I do recommend taking a class from Miss Elaineous in Glendale.  The class is 5 hours long and a ton of fun.

Here is the top of a small table I picked up at the thrift store, I didn't take a full view picture, but trust me, the rest was just as bad.


And here it is after a little experimentation.



I am in love with the whole French typography thing.

In my office at work I inherited a shabby little table that I turned into a little coffee bar.  I loved having a Keurig in my office, but the table was disgusting...so I drug it home with me last weekend.


The base was wood, but the top was laminate that was starting to peel.


A little ASCP in French Linen and some more typography later...


 

It's hard to tell in these pictures, but the edges are lightly distressed.


Tomorrow it will go back to work with me and my office will be a little happier.  Did you notice the sweet little rabbit?  I picked him up this past weekend at the Indie Vintage Arts and Marketplace show.  I had a wonderful time with my dear friend Jenny and we saw some awesome things and got some great ideas for our own homes. 

Plants seem to be hot this year.  Lucky for me my son is a botany major at Miami...more about plants,
buckets and birdcages tomorrow!


Waiting for spring,
C.




No comments:

Post a Comment